Analytic Databases Edit
- Primarily Static, Read-only databases which store archived, historical data used for analysis
Operational Databases Edit
- Used to manage dynamic bits of data
- Allow you to do more than simply view archived data
- Allow modification such as add, change, or delete.
Data Warehouse Edit
- Stores data from current and previous years
- It becomes the central source of data that has been screened, edited, standardized and integrated so that it can be used my managers and other professionals.
Hierarchical Databases Edit
- Relationships are thought of in terms of children and parents
- Child may only have one parent but a parent can have multiple children
- Parents and children are tied together my pointers
Network Databases Edit
- Designed to fix issues with Hierarchical Model
- Solves the problem of data redundancy
- By representing relationships in terms of sets rather than hierarchy
- Network model is like the Hierarchical model but instead of using a single-parent tree the network model allows for a child to have more than one parent
"Database." Wikipedia. 19 October 2009 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database>.
"Types of Databases."The UK Web Design Company. 19 October 2009 <http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com/articles/types-of-databases.php>.